NEW! The College of Biological Sciences has made funding available to assist Domestic PhD applicants with their application fees. Please click here for more details!Biophysics Prerequisites
Undergraduate Preparation for Admission
- Undergraduate degree (B.S. or B.A.) in a biological or physical science or certain engineering disciplines.
Suggested Undergraduate Courses
The following prerequisite courses are recommended for students applying for graduate study in Biophysics.
- Biology: One year of General Biology or equivalent content
- Physics: One year General Physics or equivalent content, with laboratory
- Biochemistry: Introductory Biochemistry, two quarters or four semester hours or equivalent content, with laboratory
- Chemistry: One year General Chemistry or equivalent content, with laboratory
- Calculus: One year of Calculus or equivalent content
- Statistics: One course of Introduction to Statistics or equivalent content
Students requiring more than two prerequisite courses to remedy a deficiency in these recommendations will not normally be admitted.
Prospective graduate students may apply for admission to the Ph.D. programs.
Applications are accepted for fall quarter admission only, and should be made as early as possible.
Program application deadline is January 15, 2023. Applications must be submitted for consideration by this date.
The Biophysics Graduate Group no longer requires the GRE for admissions.
Application Process - What You Need to Know
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The application fee may be paid by credit card. The appropriate fee must be paid before the application will be considered complete, and a fee must be paid for each application submitted.
- Letters of Recommendation must be submitted electronically through the online application. Do not have recommenders send letters in hard copy, but rather to submit all recommendations online once the online service is available.
- UC Davis requires academic records from each college-level institution you have attended. You will be instructed to upload scanned copies of your transcripts after you have submitted your online application. For more details visit https://gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/submit-transcripts.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for international students. Institution code: 4834.
Visit the Graduate Studies website to begin the application process